The Daily DIYer

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Updated Contact Paper Kitchen Backsplash

Back in July I updated my kitchen backsplash for FREE with contact paper (that I already had).  You can see all the details from that post HERE
This is the OLD before & after of the 1st backsplash
As much as I LOVED this update, it had it's flaws.  There were a lot of seams.  I have plaster walls and it didn't stick well.  I ended up going back and adding thumb tacks to keep it from falling down.  Due to all the seams, and from the heat of the oven, I was in need of adding more thumbtacks then I would like and decided it was time for a change...
I had seen someone make a newspaper template of their wall and made one cut from a roll of contact paper, eliminating the seams.

A light bulb went off - I'll use my existing contact paper backsplash as a template after I pull it down!  So that's what I did!
Here I unrolled the roll of new contact paper, layered the old contact paper template on top, traced and cut.

The start of laying out the new contact paper.  I still needed to use a few thumbtacks to get it started and added in a few places along the way.

Working my way along the first wall, onto the second wall.

Here is where I did have ONE seam.  Apparently my new roll of contact paper wasn't as long as my original.  I had tons of left over from the first basksplash and assumed the same for this and only bought 1 roll... I was wrong - and back to the store I went to buy a second roll.

Finished new faux backsplash

I am pretty much in love with this new design.  It is much more like tile and brightens up the kitchen even more.

Old vs. New contact paper backsplash

No it's not perfect, but it was a beautiful update that cost under $11.00!

***Contact paper is a white/gray quartrefoil from Walmart and about $5.50 per roll.  I used less then 2 rolls.
Video tutorial here:

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment