The Daily DIYer

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Grandchildren Plank Sign



Create a beautiful keepsake for yourself or someone you love.



Anything personalized is a hot item.  Whether the item is used in your own home or given as a gift to a loved one, you just can't go wrong 99% of the time.
 
I re-created this piece for a client who found a photo and said, make me this!  So I figured it out on my own and decided to share my experience and this tutorial with you.
 
My biggest thing here, ladies, you can use a saw, you can cut wood, YOU CAN DO IT!  It's so empowering!  I am a creating machine now that I've got the confidence to use power tools.  So if you see this project and think, I just need to get my husband to cut the wood for me - STOP IT.  Go out there with your hubby this time, learn how to do it, and next time there will be no waiting to make that coo; wooden piece you just have to have for your home.
 
Ok, done with that public service announcement, now onto this cool tutorial.  Watch the video below to learn how to put this piece together.  It might take a little bit of time, but it's worth it to have a beautiful custom made piece for the loving Grandmother/Grandfather in your life.
 
Enjoy!
 
Can't see the video?  Click here: https://youtu.be/bIXFzHTEM98
 
If you liked this DIY Project, here are more you'll enjoy:

DIY Wood Staining Technique & Favorite Staining Products

Simple DIY Wooden Ring Holder

DIY Chalkboard "Days Until..." Sign
Easy DIY Wooden Shelf



 
 
post signature

15 comments:

  1. Just curious what method you used for the writing on the planks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! What font are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I believe the font on the planks is Great Vibes and then just a regular Arial font style for the numbers to keep those simple.

      Delete
    2. Do you cut your own lettering or order it from somewhere? If you did your own what are you using if you don't mind me asking.

      Delete
  3. What type of wood did you use? I have one that is going to need 9 planks and I want to make sure it is not too heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used common board from Home Depot - or pine. Very affortable and easy to sand down.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You can find vinyl from a number of places. My favorite place is Vinyl Spectrum. You can also check Etsy/Ebay

      Delete
  5. What font did you use for the Grandparents sign at the top? Love this by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you print your own vinyl or was it purchased?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful project. I am going to be making this for my mom for Christmas. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This definitely makes a great gift! Best wishes with your project! Thanks for visiting my page!

      Delete
  8. Any specific type of paint you are using for the lettering? Also are you just printing the font off of word document?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you cut out the letters? Do you do it yourself or do you order them pre-cut?

    ReplyDelete