The Daily DIYer

Monday, April 20, 2015

Tips for Baby Sign Lanuage


First and foremost, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.  I am not.  I am a mom.  I have learned through other mom's, books, and YouTube videos and adapted what I've learned and found to work for MY family.  What works for us might not work for others.  However, I hope that at least there is something helpful about this blog and post for someone out there.

Now to move onto the info.  We started sign language early on with our son and as he's gotten older he really picks up on new signs very quickly because of it.  However, that doesn't mean you need to start early, I don't think that it's every too late to start.  But I did read up on this a little while pregnant and just made the decision early on to start teaching and using sign language with him at 5-6 months old.

There really is no need to teach A LOT of sign language unless your child relies on it solely for communication.  What I mean by that is, even if you only teach 5 signs to your child, you are giving them the power to communicate if they don't yet have the words and that is an amazing thing.

In the video below you'll see what words we introduced our son to, in what order, and see him using them as well.  This is just an introduction to baby/toddler signing,  If you are looking for a more in depth look I encourage you to check your library for books/videos, YouTube for a single sign at a time, and the internet for an endless amount of information on the subject.

Enjoy!


Can't see the video?  Click this link   https://youtu.be/9zwH04T0OBg

 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment